per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Nobody's Fault


I am back in Southern Illinois, but no one is to blame for the sudden change in my plan to finish massage school; it's nobody's fault. Hubby and I stopped at Ferne Clyffe on the way back from Florida. He said this split in the rock might be the result of a fault line in the area.

I quit the massage program because of the PITA I mentioned in an earlier post. The pain I began to experience just a couple of days after returning to Florida in late May began to interfere with my activities of daily living. Once I became seriously sleep deprived and had to take ibuprofen around-the-clock to keep the pain at a tolerable level, hubby insisted I see a doctor. The chiropractor I went to said I might have a herniated disk and wanted me to go to a medical doctor for more testing and possibly an MRI. Our insurance coverage in Illinois does not permit out-of-network referrals or expensive tests. So my only option, if I didn't want us to be bankrupted by exorbitant medical expenses, was to quit school and return to Illinois. I wonder if my spine is beginning to look like this juniper I planted in Florida a month ago?

Hubby came back to Florida last week to pick me up. He took Sarah and me out to dinner and for a nice long walk at the beach a couple of days before we had to leave for Illinois again. It's hard for me to lose the sand between my toes but even harder to leave my beautiful daughter in Florida. She is being brave and optimistic about the whole thing.

Early in the morning before we left, hubby and I took a walk in the neighborhood. This huge tree I am standing next to is a live oak, one of the biggest and oldest in the area. It owes a great deal of its strength and stature to the grove of oaks which thrive here. They have withstood and triumphed over many trials in their lifetimes.

Like Sarah, I am keeping a positive attitude about everything. I know I am blessed beyond measure with a loving and supportive family, friends, and neighbors. Nothing that comes my way can uproot the strong bond we have among us.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry you had to quit massage school; perhaps when your back is healed you can return to it. Good luck with all the testing; I hope they can find a treatment to relieve your pain. Back problems (or nearby areas) are no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful analogies. The fault line split, the juniper and the mighty oak all resembling your life. I think you do have the strength to with stand this and will come out the better for it. I hope the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best of health to you & your back. I know what it is to have that problem. It took me yrs. with a chiropractor for my back to be better without surgery. Give it a little time & all will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose, thank you. I do hope to return to the massage program. The administrator of the school assured me that I can begin a new session anytime that I'm ready.

    Beckie, it's funny, but I see analogies everywhere I look. I guess it's like seeing shapes in clouds or faces in rocks. Thanks for encouraging me.

    Lola, my visit to the chiropractor was a first time for me. He was very thorough in the exam and patiently explained what he thought might be going on with me. He also pointed out that it probably was not within his scope of practice and that I should seek medical help. I wish that medical doctors could show that much concern for their patients. I have not had a good experience with one in years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your images and words say more about the pain of leaving Florida than about your physical pain. Your positive attitude in the midst of what seems like defeat tells the real story. I hope all your pains heal and make you stronger for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, WS, for visiting and offering support. I guess I am a bit too transparent, but I don't mean that I can never be happy in Illinois. I just feel torn about the whole situation, especially leaving the rest of our family behind in Florida. The older I get, the more difficult it is for me to make these kind of adjustments. Anyway, I see the MD today, and I'm hoping his diagnosis and prognosis are hopeful.

    ReplyDelete