per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Jane Austen: No Swooning Allowed


If not for SAM's cold--probably contracted whilst celebrating at Walk2Write's post-graduation party last Sunday (a bitterly cold day) on the patio of a local Mexican restaurant, somewhat warmed by propane heaters but still drafty--a visit by the irascible sister-in-law would be imminent this weekend. Fortunately, or not as you might imagine, the weekend was saved, and there was another celebration of sorts. Walk2Write was alerted to the fact that today is the 236th anniversary of Jane Austen's birthday. Love and Friendship was read and enjoyed for the first time ever by yours truly and SAM, whilst on the deck of their tree house, warmed by the afternoon sun and each other's company. It doesn't get any better than this and probably shouldn't.

Merry Christmas and may God bless you!

11 comments:

  1. My son and I were briefly on the porch today, but it was in the 20's, so it didn't last long. Your day sounds delightful. Glad you got to enjoy some quiet time.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse gearing up for the upcoming 2012 A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi W2W .. colds and so much going on - the party sounds a fun way to celebrate graduation .. glad you were able to enjoy yourselves .. and sitting reading together in the afternoon sun - sounds an ideal alternative .. lovely to read about - thanks .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Walk2Write,
    thank you for pointing at those early text which I didn't know, but will order immediately - Jane Austen is such a treasure!
    I wish your husband is getting well soon, and to both of you and your family a Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, so sorry to hear about Sam's cold, but so glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend anyway! Hooray for Ms. Austen, and happy birthday to her~

    Merry Christmas to you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I didn't know about Jane Austen's birthday....
    All of you look really GREAT!
    Wishing you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Tho’ my Charms are now considerably softened and somewhat impaired by the Misfortunes I have undergone, I was once beautiful." (From the 3rd Letter)

    The misfortune of aging has impaired my abilities to visit your blog as often as I once did.

    Congratulations!! You know where I'm coming for massage therapy if I happen to show up in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Shannon! We get some chilly days here too, and I swear the cold feels even colder when it's humid.

    Ms. Hilary, you're welcome. I'd like to make that reading together a regular habit. I used to read aloud with the kids when they were little, and I really miss it. It's so much better than watching the brain drain shows on TV.

    Britta, thank you, SAM is feeling much better this week, and amazingly I didn't catch his cold or flu or whatever it was. I did feel like I was fighting something off, though, for a few days. Isn't it amazing that Ms. Austen wrote that short story in letters when she was 14? She was quite the clever girl. Merry Christmas to you!

    Leigh, thankfully, the cold went bye-bye very quickly. I just hope no one else gets sick this winter. Merry Christmas!

    Thank you, Sapphire. We usually don't get so dressed up, but the occasion (and the school officials) required it. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year too.

    TC, you're still beautiful and not at all impaired by age or anything else. Thanks for the congrats. I've decided to offer a special discount for writers who bring me signed copies of their latest books. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely photo of the three of you! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good looking family!!! God bless you all. Can you show pics of the treehouse...I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! I love when I hear a story of people who in the midst of what makes us sad, finds joy and celebrates life... by feeling the sadness of disappointment and the joy of new opportunities. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Rose! We three clean up quite respectably.

    Julie, thanks. I posted a pic of the tree house here: http://learningtoheal-walk2write.blogspot.com/2011/07/get-life.html

    Wayne, I'm glad you like the "story." I might not have enjoyed the making of it, but the denouement was certainly worth it.

    ReplyDelete