per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Living Again in a Place Where the Sun Don't Shine (Much--This Time of Year)

Fruit (nut?) from our backyard ginkgo tree
The last time I held out my hand for this blog, Winter was winding up, and we were headed for a place where it tends to linger. Not for long, we thought. Just for a season or two. Yes, the house in Florida is on the market, but it will never sell. We forgot what someone once told my parents who were anxious to sell their house at the time. Something along the lines of: There may not be a house for every fool, but there's a fool for every house.


By the time the house in Florida had sold, we had our eye on an oldy-but-goody one here. Actually, my foolish imagination had an eye on her before we ever saw her. A lovely, grand lady dressed Victorian or Edwardian style floated above SAM's head as he slept. Not literally, of course! She was in my dream, and the next day I found her, solid as a brick house, in a real estate listing online. Initially, SAM must have thought I was nuts. Buy a house based on a dream? Sure honey. I know you're a little shook up about moving from Florida (again), but you want us to buy a house that's more than 100 years old??? 







Okay, so she's not brand-spankin' new, but then neither are we. We've got some mileage on us. Besides, she's had a lot of work done to bring her up to speed. More is needed, mainly outside; I'll grant you that.

Ginkgo fruit, anyone?

Underneath those leaves lurk bushels of ginkgo fruits (imagine the smell)

Most of that work, though, will have to wait until Spring arrives. Hopefully, by that time, the ginkgo-stinko fruit will have dried up. The sun will come out again and warm the soil...


...and the rose bushes will bloom again.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new home. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thanks, Ms. Dorothy! I just realized that I need to change the pic associated with W2W. Foot-by-the-seashell doesn't seem appropriate anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Walk-to-Write,
    good to hear of you again (and good that you are on my blog-list, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed).
    Sounds so well: finding a thing one has dreamed of! (And yes: I believe in that). And I hope that is lovely and the sun comes out soon, (and the ginco-nuts go), and you are happy and content in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi W2W ... glad things have changed up for you .. and come Spring you can more easily get on ... I didn't know ginko fruits smelt that bad ... but hey ho what do I know ... good luck as you settle in ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, w2w! I am happy you came back blogging with an "oldy-but-goody" new home! What an intriguing and fascinating story.I love that.
    I sometimes go and pick up ginkgo fruits. Terrible the smell is, after removing the fleshy outer layers with water and drying them in the sun, I use the nuts in the dishes.Tasty and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Dear Britta. I'm glad to be back. Feeling settled in now and ready to get back to the things I love doing.

    Thank you, Ms. Hilary. I don't mind Winter too much. It gives me an excuse to sit inside with a hot cup of tea and do some writing. I had always heard about the smell of ginkgo fruit but wasn't prepared for how bad it really is. Another good thing about winter: it tends to freeze the stink!

    Thanks, Cosmos. I have tasted a few of the nuts that fell. I guess it's an acquired taste that I haven't developed yet. They are supposed to be good for the brain, and I can use all the help I can get with that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I forgot about the ginko smell...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey girl? Did I miss what state you have moved to? Nice to see you again! Missed ya! My cousins house in Lakeland sold after just 2 weeks on the market!!!!! Good luck with that sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Julie! We are back in the Land of Lincoln after selling our house in Florida. I have mixed feelings about the move, but we are glad to be near family again (especially glad to be close to Grandson!). It's great to be back in touch with my blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back to Illinois! I hope this winter doesn't make you wish you had stayed in Florida:) We lived in a house nearly 100 years old for more than 25 years. There was always something to repair, it seems, but old houses have so much character and touches you just don't find in new houses today. Glad to have you back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new dream house! We live in a house that is nearly 100 years old and needs upkeep but we love it. It's so nice to have you back to blogging. You have been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Rose. Maybe we can meet up sometime now that I'm closer. This old house definitely has character. She has been well-maintained, but there are still a few repairs to be made in her near future.

    Hi, Sarah, and thanks. I've missed everyone and will try to catch up in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm positive the rose bushes will indeed bloom again. And you'll probably have a bouquet of them sitting on the kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete