per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ferguson By Way of Aughra: "The Two Made One"

Aughra!
While most media outlets are currently focused on the nature of upraised hands (e.g., the St. Louis Rams' silent protest of grand jury decision on Michael Brown case), I got to thinking about one of my walks in Southern Illinois nature before the recent onset of winter-like weather.

SAM and I like to visit a nearby state park and walk around a bit to see what we can see. As you can see, this photo (above), taken sometime in October of this year, reveals a stump extraordinaire. "Go back!" she seems to say. Or "Turn left!" or right, as per your perspective on the situation. As per my comment to a sibling this evening: "Why can't we all just get along?"

I don't know. I guess I'm stumped. Perhaps Aughra has had her outstretched finger (or removable eye, as the case may be) on the right idea all along:

"What was sundered and undone shall be whole, the two made one.”

14 comments:

  1. Hi W2W .. frankly it's easier, happier and much nicer to be outside walking around .. and a tree stump will be beautiful and will return to life .. and will next year go away again .. and then repeat the life cycle ...

    Aughra I don't know .. and probably should .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Hilary, if you haven't seen The Dark Crystal, then you should. I think you'd enjoy it. And you're right, it is fun to find things in the woods to spark the imagination. It's a reciprocal life-giving endeavor. "Aughra" the stump comes alive again here and in turn gives my old brain some food for thought. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've cited what has become my mantra for life, I think--"why can't we all just get along?"

    Southern Illinois has so many lovely parks--I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. And sorry about the disconnect I thought sure you'd given up blogging and its been a while.... Welcome back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting photo! I sure agree with you about why can't we all just get along. Very nice post. Thank you for stopping by my blog and your kind comment. John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose, that's a great mantra or motto to have. I think it should be posted in every school like the 10 Commandments used to be. Why stop there? Congress could use it along with a prayer to start every session. As for the parks, remember we're not that far from y'all.

    Give up blogging, TB? Never. Just a temporary break after the fall. Thanks for stopping by!

    It's my pleasure, John. And so nice to see a new follower. I will give you a shout-out in my next post if you don't mind. The blogging world (at least the part that I tend to inhabit) seems to be shrinking all the time. The bloggers who usually visit here are determined to keep it going. You can tell by their sincere, thoughtful comments and willingness to visit other sites as well post on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I "googled" Aughra. Sounds like an interesting story!
    I might have encountered Aughra or whatever:) Woods is a place of regeneration ecologically and figuratively. I feel refreshed leterally out of the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same here, Cosmos. Even in the midst of the "dying off" in autumn, you see life and rebirth all around you in the leaf and flower buds fat with promise for next year and in countless other things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you and Rose (above commenter)-- why can't we just all get along. On the bright side, I don't see my own kids bickering as much as my sisters and I do. Beautiful photos, but I admit, when I see a neat stump, I usually take it as an invitation to sit a spell. :-)
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ms. Debi, thanks for the visit. I'm with you for taking a break on the stump. This one, though, with all of its embellishments, didn't seem to have enough space for my bum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walking is apparently on eof the two most complete exercises along with swimming. Your surroundings are perfect for walking. Thanks and Happy New Year! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, ACIL! I'm not much of a swimmer (don't like to put my face in the water because of contact lenses) so I guess walking is my thing. I do wish for warmer weather though. Now that it's January, Spring seems just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like old stumps, but like "old" bloggin friends like you much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, TC. I wish you could see me blushing right now. The old, pale, wintertime complexion needed that! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete