per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

How Great the Art?

Twist but don't shout at Bonnet House in Fort Lauderdale





In a recent twist of fate, SAM and I were invited to stay at a distant relative's condo in South Florida. As fate would have it, this invitation coincides with our 35th wedding anniversary. The place is ours to enjoy for the time being, and what a place! I won't post a picture of the inside of the condo since it's not mine to show off, but I will say that the art it contains is inspiring.









Daughter, don't sit under the camellia tree with anyone else but me
 Before we traveled that far south, though, we made a pit[hy] stop in Tallahassee to visit Daughter and her hubby and to deposit Peanut.

Peanut makes herself at home while visiting Daughter and Son-in-law

She (the cat--and possibly I--not the daughter!) has/have put on quite a few excess pounds whilst living up north. Is it the stress of the cold or just living in Illinois that "comPounds" the problem of weight gain? If Peanut could talk, she would probably tell me to take a chill pill and relax. You can't make the wheels of Illinois' state government turn any faster than they are used to moving. Just because Florida could issue a professional license in short order (10 days) doesn't mean that Illinois can or will do the same for me (9 weeks and counting).


Speaking of wheels turning, while waiting on the license, I've been working on a train song. I always have liked that genre for some reason. Daughter gave me a guitar for Christmas in 2013, and I am finally trying to learn how to play the darn thing. Since we gave him a guitar this past Christmas, Grandson and I have been taking lessons together from a teacher employed by Mike's Music in Carbondale, Illinois. Ever since I saw Tommy Emmanuel in concert, I've been wanting to try my hand(s) at the art.

"Trunk art" at Bonnet House in Ft. Lauderdale
I wonder...If this tree we saw at Bonnet House Plantation in Ft. Lauderdale could be turned into an instrument, what song would it sing?

9 comments:

  1. Well, happy anniversary! What a piece of luck to get a condo in Florida to vacation in. All I can say is sorry you inherited IL government when you moved back. That will stress you out to the max. Have a wonderful time in Florida!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marnie! We can't believe our luck in being able to stay here. SAM went fishing today and caught a nice size dolphin (fish). He had to share the spoils with the other participants in the charter (per captain's orders) but came home triumphant and tired from seasickness nonetheless. Now how often does that happen in Illinois?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good-natured romp from north to south! Camellia tree is impressive. We have a Camellia festival in Sacramento but think of them as well-behaved bushes. Trees? That's a magnificence Californians are unaccustomed to. Daughter has worked in Illinois for 8 years and never mentions the government. We are very sheltered parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That camellia is amazing and Peanut reminds me of my own beloved and greatly missed Nicholas. Happy anniversary and enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! And you definitely picked a good time to absent the northern tier though I know those Floridians think anything below 45 is ridiculously cold...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! This is a great time for a getaway in Florida--enjoy! Good luck with your guitar lessons--I started taking group classes a few years ago, but still haven't progressed as much as I like. I think my lack of practicing is probably to blame:) Sorry you have to deal with Illinois government once again--nothing gets done quickly here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! Hope you had a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 35th! We will be celebrating our 25th and need some inspiration so thanks for this post. I'm impressed to hear that you are learning guitar too. You are living life to its fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi W2W - congratulations on the 35th and I sure hope you enjoyed/are enjoying your stay down south. But how lovely to be learning the guitar with your grandson - I bet that motivates both of you to keep practising.

    Love the camellia - what a magnificent bush (tree) .. I do love them ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete