per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Artist at Work


I admit it. I'm not much of an artist. I created two cakes for Micah's first birthday, one just for him and one for the rest of us. His mom wanted a Winnie-the-Pooh cake for him, so I gave it my best shot. Since the day (May 17) was warm, we headed outside to the lanai and watched the fun begin.

Micah has been learning to use utensils to eat with, so when he was confronted with the cake and given no spoon or fork, he wasn't quite sure what to do or where to begin.

Now we're cookin'! His mom gave him something to work with.

She wanted him to actually taste the cake instead of just wear it.

Micah thinks he could get used to this messy kind of eating. Grandma thinks we will be eating outside as often as possible this summer.

Life Sculpture
Chisel in hand stood a sculptor boy
With his marble block before him,
And his eyes lit up with a smile of joy,
As an angel-dream passed o'er him.
He carved the dream on that shapeless stone,
With many a sharp incision;
With heaven's own light the sculpture shone,--
He'd caught that angel-vision.
Children of life are we, as we stand
With our lives uncarved before us,
Waiting the hour when, at God's command,
Our life-dream shall pass o'er us.
If we carve it then on the yielding stone,
With many a sharp incision,
Its heavenly beauty shall be our own,--
Our lives, that angel-vision.
--George Washington Doane (1799-1859)--

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed visiting yours, reading your stories and bits of wisdom. Don't be a stranger. Andrea from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you also, Andrea, for stopping by and leaving a comment. This blog has helped me put certain things in my life in perspective. It has also helped me broaden my horizons since I get to visit other countries without even leaving the house! I would love to visit Germany again someday. I lived there when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete