per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Friday, May 23, 2008

A Time for Pruning


Once I got done mowing and trimming our acre in Florida this morning, I took a closer look at the roses surrounding the house and found them in dire need of pruning. In the northeast corner of the lanai, this Knockout has taken over and is beginning to rub against the screen.

Here, an unnamed daylily (purchased at a box store real cheap!) struggles valiantly past the Knockout to reach some sunlight.


This lovely tree rose is Honey Perfume. I definitely need more of this one. It has grown taller than any tree rose I have ever seen. It must be over six feet tall. The Thuja look like green sentinels protecting the rose from any harm. Fortunately, they are a slow growing variety and very fragrant themselves. I think the name is Emerald Green. Quite fitting, don't you think?

Here is another jungle, only this time in the flower bed at the front of the house. As you can see, the Loropetalum (I have trained it into a tree) is trying to make a comeback as a shrub, sending shoots out from around the bottom of its trunk. Can you spot the small lion (Peanut) roaring at me from her shady hiding place? I have a lot of work to do this weekend. An absence of several months can spell trouble for this gardener who likes her growing spaces to be in order. I can see that this morning's mowing was just the beginning.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment! I'm glad you did - this way I found your blog.
    Your garden looks lovely and I'd love to see more of it. I'll be back!
    /Katarina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katarina, for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. Blogging has been so much fun for me the past couple of months. It's definitely better than keeping a diary. I don't know why I didn't start a blog a long time ago. Hope to see you here again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, you have so nice garden pictures and I' m very surprised that in your garden are blooming roses and day lilies. In my garden you see just in the moments the late tulips and the first big iris.
    Have a great Sunday Wurzerl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice surprise, Wurzerl, to find a comment from you! I'm sorry that I have not visited your blog lately. I will try to make amends sometime this weekend. Yes, the roses here in Florida (I'm back now), at least the Knockout variety, will even bloom throughout the winter if we don't get any killing frost. The ones on the south side of the house fare better than any of the others. I start massage school next Tuesday after our Memorial Day weekend. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete