per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Water for Water


This morning after a heavy rain last night, the pool reflects what water is left behind on the screen above it. The grass appears refreshed and ready to take on the heat of the new day.

Then all the charm
Is broken--all that phantom-world so fair
Vanishes, and a thousand circlets spread,
And each mis-shape[s] the other. Stay awhile,
Poor youth! who scarcely dar'st lift up thine eyes--
The stream will soon renew its smoothness, soon
The visions will return! An lo! he stays,
And soon the fragments dim of lovely forms
Come trembling back, unite, and now once more
The pool becomes a mirror.

[From Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Picture; or the Lover's Resolution, lines 91-100]


Miss Kitty has no manners and no sense anymore. She sits on top of the tablecloth still wet from last night's rain.

This small tree rose by the front porch appears to be taking a bow for having weathered the storm. Her name is Our Lady of Guadalupe.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting me and introducing me to your blog! I think we have more than a little in common, a love of literature being one. Congratulations on getting your degree and then going after what you really want to do.
    I skimmed through some of your earlier posts; I take it you are moving back to Illinois full-time? Too bad you can't spend the winters in Florida at least (remember Illinois winters??).

    I enjoyed visiting your blog, and I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose. You know, a lot of people seem puzzled about my decision to get a degree in English and then become a massage therapist, but there just might be a method to my madness. In this world I have learned that credentials are everything. I know that a lot of writers (Hemingway for one) never graduated from college and frequently disparaged the university community for its loftier-than-thou attitude. Nevertheless, I made a promise to myself and to my dad who passed away four years ago that I would one day complete my university degree. I finally did, and I know that I did it for more than just the sake of a promise. After I become a licensed massage therapist (another credential), I plan on doing some freelance writing for various trade magazines, especially those about alternative medicine (which is actually traditional medicine, if you think about it). I'm a little circuitous in my career path, but I'll eventually get there. Thanks again for stopping by. I'll be visiting you again soon.

    ReplyDelete