per·i·pa·tet·ic
ˌperēpəˈtedik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods.
    "the peripatetic nature of military life"
    synonyms:nomadic, itinerant, traveling, wandering, roving, roaming, migrant,migratory, unsettled
    "I could never get used to her peripatetic lifestyle"
  2. 2.
    Aristotelian.
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
  2. 2.
    an Aristotelian philosopher.

Friday, April 8, 2011

A to Z Blogging Challenge: G is for (What Else?) Gardening

Leaffooted bug nymphs on pear tomatoes
G is for Gardening

Writers who have successfully navigated that sea--or plowed that field--of publishing tribulation usually advise you to write what you know. Okay. But not many people would be interested in reading stuff like: Keeping a marriage and family intact during a time when the economy was busting out of its britches and our president was caught with his pants down. Or watching the health care crisis unfold among untold transcribed pages of medical reports. Or learning something very unscientific about what plants/methods/chants work or don't work in a home garden.

Once I realized just how many big fish were already angling for publishers' attention, I gave up the idea of becoming a garden guru and decided to try the fiction waters instead. It can't be much more frustrating than seeing the first tomatoes of the season covered with these suckers. Right?

How does your garden or writing grow? Does Contrary-Mary slip in and mess with things, or do those maids always look pretty and toe the line for you?



Please see A to Z Blogging Challenge for links to more "G's" from Challenge sponsors and other writers.

10 comments:

  1. I think a lot of folks would be interested in hearing about how to keep one's family together during these times. Albeit not on a garden blog though:( You are a good writer-one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose when there is a crisis, the family sticks together and aims to keep as many possible people alive (like during the time of the Holacaust)

    Hey by the way thanks for the compliments.
    I was also wondering if there is any way to make money while writing :-)
    Do you know of any particular person/place who would like me to write for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI W2W .. it's always difficult find the right niche - but I love coming here and reading your views on life .. and I know I'd rather see those little critters on your pear tomatoes than one or two other things you mentioned ....

    I have to admit I'm loving it .. thanks for asking! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that those maids would look pretty and toe! My garden is a disaster area at the minute, in much need of attention, before son's wedding. My writing is begging for a bit of attention too. HeyHo! Not enough hours in any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tomotoes are looking nice despite of the ants, :)

    So does the writing, we keep on even when it looks like everything, including the plot, is falling apart. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a long time still awaiting to see my flowers grow and my garden smile is soft daylight.****sigh****

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanking u fr the birthday wishes and comment..

    Was it easier fr u to write an article on G, as gardening is one of ur fav topic..?

    Actually I was following your every post since u started updating ur blog for the A_Z blogging challenge..

    And I am thinking loudly, what could be your 'I' post about..yet another surprise fr me? Will it be about India or ...?

    ReplyDelete
  8. at the moment, the maids are all pretty and toe to toe. But there were times when the slugs hit... :p

    lovely garden analogy~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a garden at present, but I dream of one. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For both gardening and writing, research and learning help the growth. I take online classes and sign up for workshops to improve my writing. Oh, yeah, and patience and a little faith. Without them, I would get nowhere. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete